Important business decisions require justification, and while we often have data that can help us make those decisions, the skill with which we analyze the data can make the difference between a good and bad outcome. This course, developed by Professor Chris Anderson, is designed to move learners beyond making decisions focused solely on averages. In this course, you will develop a working familiarity with the grounding principles of data analysis. You will learn to derive the greatest benefit possible from the data available to you while ensuring that the conclusions you draw remain valid. You will apply a decision-making framework within which you'll interact with the data to achieve the best outcome.
This course includes valuable tools and help sheets for data handlers along with the insight and perspective you need as a data consumer. While this course is not a replacement for a full-length statistics course, you will have a basic grounding in many statistics concepts by the time the course is over. You should be able to complete this course without any prior knowledge of statistics.
Project Management Institute (PMI®) Continuing Certification: Participants who successfully complete this course will receive 6 Professional Development Units (PDUs) from PMI®. Please contact PMI ® for details about professional project management certification or recertification. PMI is a registered mark of the Project Management Institute, Inc.
Faculty AuthorChris Anderson, Associate Professor at the School of Hotel Administration, Cornell University
Benefits to the Learner
- Identify and collect data that can be used to address any given business problem
- Recognize and mitigate potential bias when generating a data sample
- Develop statistical summaries and data visualizations to understand how variables impact outcomes
- Evaluate decisions by looking at key performance measures and determining their implications for stakeholders
- Functional Managers
- Any professional that uses data to make business decisions
- Project Management Institute (PMI) 6.0 Units Approval Number 2646-SHA571_6E 6.0 Units